CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 4, 2007

It Pays To Prepare

Like most busy moms, I've spent many evenings standing in front of the refrigerator and pantry trying to decide what to fix for supper. One good idea is to make those infamous casserole's and store them for later use. The only problem I have with that is that I don't want to trade my one free day with my family in the kitchen preparing food for the next week. So, I thought I'd share some of my quick easy ideas that help me through the week.
*First of all, obviously, we have to think about the week ahead. What nights do we need a really quick meal and which nights do we have a little more time?
*I don't know about you, but I use onions and garlic in almost everything. Well, early in the week, chop extra and bag it. Then it's ready for the next meal.
*If you're having chicken one night, cook a couple of extra pieces for a salad later in the week.
*Like most women, I love pasta. If you always have some on hand, cook up a little following the directions on bag. In a small skillet, heat up 1/4 cup chicken broth, 2 Tbsp. heavy cream, and 1/4 Parmesan cheese. Drain pasta and mix with sauce. Add some fresh, chopped parsley at the end. (This is also good with fresh basil) If you don't have the cream, omit the broth and just add olive oil and the herbs and it's still very good.
Here's one more quick recipe that's great for a quick night meal. This recipe is from my great friend Gretchen.

Easy Meatball Subs
Take a bag of your favorite frozen meatballs (this plays into the planning part of your week) and put in a crock pot with your favorite spaghetti sauce. You can also add sliced onions and bell peppers if you like. Leave on low temperature and go about your day. When you're ready for supper, put meatballs on sub rolls with sliced mozzarella cheese and heat to melt the cheese. This makes a quick, easy meal and makes very happy kids.
I hope some of this helps during your busy week. As always, let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Brenda Heusterberg said...

Here are two easy recipes:

Take the frozen meat balls and add one can French Onion Soup and one can Cream of Mushroom Soup. Dump it all into your crock pot and cook on high for about four hours.

You can also take frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs and add one can French Onion Soup and one can Cream of Mushroom Soup. Dump into your crock pot and cook for eight hours.

You can serve over rice or egg noodles.

I love to use the crock pot to cook many different meals.

Try these two recipes and enjoy.

Jody Bumgardner said...

Thanks Brenda! I can't wait to try these. Send me recipes anytime!

Cat said...

Love this idea - need turkey meat balls though (high colesterol) - any ideas where I can buy some?