CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fresh Strawberry Pie

I was in the grocery store the other day passing by the strawberries and I could almost taste a homemade strawberry pie, just like we would eat during the summer when I was a kid. When I got married I went back to cheating completely on this pie; buying the glaze in the grocery store. It really is so easy to make your own and tastes SO much better. In this particular video I did use a pre-made roll out crust. Of course, homemade crust is delicious also, but I think the bought crusts are really close and work if you're in a hurry.



1 pie crust, baked and cooled
8 cups of fresh strawberries, quartered
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch

In a blender, blend 1 cup of strawberries with 2/3 cup water. Pour into a small saucepan and add sugar and cornstarch. Mix well. Cook over medium heat just until boiling, then continue to simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit without stirring for 10 minutes. Let the glaze cool. Put a little glaze in the bottom of the baked, cooled pie crust. Place a layer of strawberries in next. Add more glaze over this layer. Add more strawberries and another layer of glaze. Finish with your prettiest cuts of strawberries and finish off with the rest of the glaze, making sure you coat all of the strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but even longer is better if you have time. I finish my pie off with homemade whipped cream. Tip: If you are not going to be eating the entire pie, I would put whipped cream on each individual piece as it's served. The whipped cream can separate and get runny otherwise if it's stored on the pie.

3 comments:

Brian Johnson said...

I'm so glad you put this recipe up. I was just looking for a strawberry pie recipe. Here is a tip I just found out from a strawberry farmer to keep strawberries fresh. Place unwashed strawberries in an air tight tupperware. Put a dry paper towel over the top of the strawberries and place lid on tight. Change the paper towel every couple days. The strawberries will stay fresh for several weeks. This really worked. Mine were in my frig for 10 days and still perfect.

Anonymous said...

thank you btj112 for the tip.
I hate it when strawberries go bad too quick.

Jody Bumgardner said...

That's awesome! Strawberries goes bad so quickly. I'll definitely be trying this. Thanks so much!